By Brian P. Bennett
A interesting comparative account of sacred languages and their position in and past faith —written for a huge, interdisciplinary audience
Sacred languages were used for foundational texts, liturgy, and formality for millennia, and plenty of have remained almost unchanged in the course of the centuries. whereas the very important courting among language and faith has been lengthy stated, new study and considering throughout an array of disciplines together with non secular reviews, sociolinguistics, sociology, linguistics, or even neurolinguistics has ended in a renewed curiosity within the region. This attention-grabbing and informative booklet attracts on Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Judaic, and Buddhist traditions to supply a concise and obtainable creation to the phenomenon of sacred languages.
The e-book takes a strongly comparative, wide-ranging method of exploring ways that historical spiritual languages, resembling Latin, Pali, Church Slavonic, and Hebrew proceed to form the ideals and practices of spiritual groups worldwide. educated by way of either comparative faith and sociolinguistics, it strains the histories of sacred languages, the myths and doctrines that specify their foundation and price, a few of the methods they're used, the sectarian debates that shadow them, and the technological recommendations that propel them ahead within the twenty-first century.
- A finished yet succinct account of the position and value of language inside of religion
- Takes an interdisciplinary strategy for you to attract scholars and students throughout an array of disciplines, together with non secular experiences, sociology of faith, sociolinguistics, and linguistics
- Provides a strongly comparative exploration, drawing on Christian, Islamic, Hindu, Judaic, and Buddhist traditions
- Uses a number of examples and ties historical debates with modern situations
- Satisfies the speedily starting to be call for for books at the topic between either lecturers and common readers
Sacred Languages of the World is a must-read for college students of faith and language, scripture, non secular literacy, schooling and language, the sociology of faith, sociolinguistics. it is going to even have robust attraction between normal readers with an curiosity comparative faith, heritage, cultural feedback, communique reports, and more.
Read or Download Sacred Languages of the World: An Introduction PDF
Similar religious studies books
This obtainable learn of Northern eu shamanistic perform, or seidr, explores the best way the traditional Norse trust structures evoked within the Icelandic Sagas and Eddas were rediscovered and reinvented through teams in Europe and North the US. The booklet examines the phenomenon of altered attention and the interactions of seid-workers or shamanic practitioners with their spirit worlds.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2010 im Fachbereich Soziologie - faith, notice: 1,0, FernUniversität Hagen (Institut für Soziologie), Veranstaltung: Modul 5e: Kulturelle Orientierungen und Individualisierung, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die unterschiedlichen Formen der faith bzw. der Religiosität wurden in den vergangenen Jahrzehnten mit schlagkräftigen Begriffen belegt, wie z.
Just about all the good spiritual thinkers of the previous have constructed a social in addition to theological doctrine, yet their sociology was once generally in simple terms implicit of their paintings or at top part formulated in order that cautious research and research is required to carry it out. this can be the duty which Dr. Stark has set himself within the current essays.
This e-book considers the emergence of a notable range of church buildings in east-central Europe among the sixteenth and 18th centuries, which integrated Catholic, Orthodox, Hussite, Lutheran, Bohemian Brethren, Calvinist, anti-Trinitarian and Greek Catholic groups. participants verify the intense multiplicity of confessions within the Transylvanian principality, in addition to the diversity of church buildings in Poland, Bohemia, Moravia and Hungary.
- History's Vanquished Goddess ASHERAH: Archaeological & Historical Aspects of Syro-Palestinian Pre-Biblical Religious Traditions
- Pilgrimage in the Marketplace (Routledge Studies in Pilgrimage, Religious Travel and Tourism)
- Jenseits von Jedi-Rittern und Sith-Lords. Der Dualismus von Gut und Böse in Star Wars (German Edition)
Additional info for Sacred Languages of the World: An Introduction
Sacred Languages of the World: An Introduction by Brian P. Bennett