By Douglas E. Cowan,David G. Bromley
- A stimulating, course-friendly assessment of the background and improvement of recent non secular pursuits (NRMs) within the overdue 20th century
- Explores 8 cults and NRMs, together with the Church of Scientology, Transcendental Meditation, Unificationism, The family members overseas, the Ramtha tuition of Enlightenment, the department Davidians, Heaven’s Gate, and Wicca
- Each bankruptcy experiences the origins, leaders, ideals, rituals and practices of a NRM, highlighting the categorical controversies surrounding this group
- Covers debates together with what constitutes an actual faith, the validity of claims of brainwashing suggestions, the consequences of experimentation with unconventional sexual practices, and the deeply rooted cultural fears that cults engender.
Read Online or Download Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) PDF
Similar religious studies books
This obtainable research of Northern eu shamanistic perform, or seidr, explores the best way the traditional Norse trust platforms evoked within the Icelandic Sagas and Eddas were rediscovered and reinvented through teams in Europe and North the United States. The booklet examines the phenomenon of altered recognition and the interactions of seid-workers or shamanic practitioners with their spirit worlds.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2010 im Fachbereich Soziologie - faith, notice: 1,0, FernUniversität Hagen (Institut für Soziologie), Veranstaltung: Modul 5e: Kulturelle Orientierungen und Individualisierung, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Die unterschiedlichen Formen der faith bzw. der Religiosität wurden in den vergangenen Jahrzehnten mit schlagkräftigen Begriffen belegt, wie z.
Just about all the good spiritual thinkers of the earlier have constructed a social in addition to theological doctrine, yet their sociology used to be typically only implicit of their paintings or at top part formulated in order that cautious research and research is required to carry it out. this is often the duty which Dr. Stark has set himself within the current essays.
This ebook considers the emergence of a striking variety of church buildings in east-central Europe among the sixteenth and 18th centuries, which incorporated Catholic, Orthodox, Hussite, Lutheran, Bohemian Brethren, Calvinist, anti-Trinitarian and Greek Catholic groups. members examine the extreme multiplicity of confessions within the Transylvanian principality, in addition to the diversity of church buildings in Poland, Bohemia, Moravia and Hungary.
- Confucianism and Its Rivals : Lectures Delivered in the University Hall of Dr. Williams's Library, London, October-December, 1914
- A Critical Introduction to the Study of Religion
- Secularization and the Working Class: The Czech Lands and Central Europe in the 19th Century
- Files of Death - Let me Out: The Guide of Spirituality (Real Spirits Real Photos)
- Radical Otherness: Sociological and Theological Approaches (Gender, Theology and Spirituality)
- Intelligent Design Theory: Squeezing Common Sense out of Science, Creation, the Flood of Noah and Jesus Christ
Additional info for Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion)
Cults and New Religions: A Brief History (Wiley Blackwell Brief Histories of Religion) by Douglas E. Cowan,David G. Bromley