By L. Giese
Read Online or Download Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies PDF
Best british & irish contemporary literature books
This research explores the delicate and complicated importance of nutrition and consuming in modern women's fiction. Sarah Sceats unearths how preoccupations with meals, its intake and the physique are principal to the paintings of writers resembling Doris Lessing, Angela Carter, Margaret Atwood, Michèle Roberts and Alice Thomas Ellis.
Those twelve essays learn the advanced pleasures and difficulties of enticing with James Joyce for next writers, discussing Joyce's textual, stylistic, formal, regularly occurring, and biographical impact on an interesting collection of Irish, British, American, and postcolonial writers from the Nineteen Forties to the twenty-first century.
Bluestocking Feminism and British-German Cultural move, 1750–1837 examines the methods of cultural move among Britain and Germany in the course of the own Union, the interval from 1714 to 1837 while the kings of britain have been concurrently Electors of Hanover. whereas students have typically inquisitive about the political and diplomatic implications of the private Union, Alessa Johns bargains a brand new standpoint via tracing sociocultural repercussions and investigating how, within the interval of the yankee and French Revolutions, Britain and Germany generated precise discourses of liberty even if they have been nonrevolutionary nations.
First released in 1972. John D. leap, a number one authority on Byron and the Romantic interval, right here supplies an account of Byron’s literary fulfillment with regards to the age of revolutions within which he lived and when it comes to his personal personality and private situations. Professor bounce focuses upon the foremost poems and in addition discusses Byron’s prose, largely his letters and journals.
- Humanism and Secularization: From Petrarch to Valla (Duke Monographs in Medieval and Renaissance Studies)
- Privacy, Domesticity, and Women in Early Modern England
- Women in the Seventeenth-Century Quaker Community: A Literary Study of Political Identities, 1650–1700 (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- Reformations of the Body: Idolatry, Sacrifice, and Early Modern Theater (Early Modern Cultural Studies)
- The Methuen Drama Guide to Contemporary British Playwrights (Guides to Contemporary Drama)
- John Buchan and the Idea of Modernity (Literary Texts and the Popular Marketplace)
Additional resources for Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies
Courtships, Marriage Customs, and Shakespeare's Comedies by L. Giese