By Roger Fowler
This e-book, first released in 1987, differs from many different ‘dictionaries of feedback’ in concentrating much less on time-honoured rhetorical phrases and extra on conceptually versatile, strong phrases. each one access includes now not easily a dictionary definition yet an essay exploring the heritage and whole value of the time period, and its percentages in severe discourse. This identify is a perfect simple reference textual content for literature scholars of all degrees.
Read or Download A Dictionary of Modern Critical Terms: Revised and Enlarged Edition: Volume 7 (Routledge Library Editions: Literary Theory) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory_1 books
First released in 1997. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
When you are in any respect accustomed to Tolkien’s paintings, then Bilbo’s cry – proclaiming the coming of Eagles – might be no stranger to you. certainly, those plot-armoured birds are a bit of an indicator of the grasp of Middle-Earth, one had fun over and lampooned in equivalent degree by means of either enthusiasts and critics of his writing.
Mixing background and structure with literary research, this ground-breaking learn explores the convent's position within the early smooth mind's eye. the writer brackets her account among pivotal occasions: the Council of Trent enforcing strict enclosure on cloistered nuns, and the French Revolution expelling them from their cloisters centuries later.
All autobiographers are unreliable narrators. but what a author chooses to misrepresent is as telling -- even perhaps extra so -- as what fairly occurred. Timothy Adams believes that autobiography is an try and reconcile one's lifestyles with one's self, and he argues during this ebook that autobiography shouldn't be taken as traditionally exact yet as metaphorically genuine.
- The Mentor and the Mentee: Elements of the Arthurian Legend in J.K. Rowling’s “Harry Potter” Series
- The Arts of Attention (Harmattan Hongrie)
- Unnatural Ecopoetics: Unlikely Spaces in Contemporary Poetry
- Evolution, Sacrifice, and Narrative: Balzac, Zola, and Faulkner: Volume 16 (Routledge Library Editions: The Nineteenth-Century Novel)
- Publishing Women's Life Stories in France, 1647-1720: From Voice to Print (Women and Gender in the Early Modern World)
- A Cultural History of Underdevelopment: Latin America in the U.S. Imagination (New World Studies)
Additional info for A Dictionary of Modern Critical Terms: Revised and Enlarged Edition: Volume 7 (Routledge Library Editions: Literary Theory)
A Dictionary of Modern Critical Terms: Revised and Enlarged Edition: Volume 7 (Routledge Library Editions: Literary Theory) by Roger Fowler